Undergraduate Degree Programs
For the BA, a proficiency level of successful completion of American Sign Language, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, or Spanish, 2310 and 2320 is required. Most students will need to complete the first year of the language (1410 and 1420) before beginning 2310.
Students who have previous language experience are required to take a placement/credit test in that language on the first-class day in any first-semester class (1410).
It is recommended that students should not advance from one course to the next in the sequence 1410, 1420, 2310, 2320 without having earned at least a C in the previous course. In Spanish, students must earn at least a C in each course (SPAN 1410, 1420, 2310, and 2320) to proceed to the next course.
- A minimum of 120 semester hours is required.
- Majors must complete 24 upper division (3000-4000 level) hours and maintain a GPA of at least 2.50 in all upper divison course work to meet graduation requirements.
- Spanish majors should complete SPAN 3308 (prerequisite to all other upper division courses); SPAN 3309 (prerequisite to all other upper division courses in literature); SPAN 4340; three courses from SPAN 3301, 3302, 3305, 3306, 3310, 3311, 3312, 3370, or 3371 and two courses from SPAN 4302, 4350, 4361, 4370, or 4380.
- An approved minor must be completed.
- Majors must satisfy general education core curriculum and BA requirements.
Suggested Degree Plan
|Freshman Year - 1st Semester||Hours||Freshman Year - 2nd Semester||Hours|
|COMM 1310||3||HIST 1310||3|
|ENG 1310||3||ENG 1320||3|
|US 1100||1||MATH 1315 or higher||3|
|POSI 2310||3||Modern Language 1420||4|
|Modern Language 1410||4||PFW||1|
|Sophomore Year - 1st Semester||Hours||Sophomore Year - 2nd Semester||Hours|
|PHIL 1305 or 1320||3||POSI 2320||3|
|ENG Literature (ENG 2310, 2320, 2330, 2340, 2359, 2360)||3||Modern Languages 2320||3|
|Modern Languages 2310||3||Natural Science Component||4|
|Natural Science Component||3||ENG Literature (ENG 2310, 2320, 2330, 2340, 2359, 2360)||3|
|HIST 1320||3||Social Science Component||3|
|Junior Year - 1st Semester||Hours||Junior Year - 2nd Semester||Hours|
|ART, DAN, MU, or TH 2313||3||Modern Languages upper division hours||9|
|BA Science Requirement||3|
|Modern Languages upper division hours||6|
|Senior Year - 1st Semester||Hours||Senior Year - 2nd Semester||Hours|
|Modern Languages upper division hours||6||Modern Languages upper division hours||3|
|Minor||6||Electives as needed||12|
|Electives as needed||3|