Valladolid Summer Session I
What you will learn
This total immersion program in the Spanish language and culture will provide students with a comprehensive approach and authentic language environment to continue the development of proficiency in Spanish through study and communicative practice. The program is designed to develop all language skills within a Spanish cultural framework.
The City of Valladolid
Valladolid is the capital of Castilla y León and a prestigious historical, cultural, linguistic, and literary center. After it was captured by the Moors in the Middle Ages and reconquered in the fifteenth century, Valladolid became the main residency of Castilian monarchs and served as Spain’s capital on multiple occasions until the first decade of the seventeenth century. Today, with a population of approximately 420,000+ it is still an important urban area, and in addition to conserving its rich history, culture, and reputation as the “cradle” of the Spanish language, it is also a modern city with a thriving social life.
Universitas Castellae is a private educational center that specializes in teaching Spanish language, literature, and culture to non-native students. Located in the historic Plaza del Viejo coso, what used to be an 18th century bullfighting arena, it is in the heart of Valladolid, nearby the Plaza mayor (Main Square). Universitas’s facilities are well suited to the needs of students, offering continuously updated audio-visual equipment, and free access to internet connection
- SPAN 2310 (Intermediate Spanish I)
- SPAN 2320 (Intermediate Spanish II)
- optionally, SPAN 4390* (Studies in Spanish culture, language, and literature)
*May be repeated once for additional credit
Departure Date: May 21, 2017
Return Date: June 20, 2017
Program Cost: $3957 (airfare and other personal expenses not included. Price subject to change.)
Program Cost Includes:
- Texas State University and Host Institution Tuition and Fees
- Bus pick up from Madrid Barajas Airport
- Orientation Session at Host Institution
- Brief tour of Valladolid’s main square and close periphery.
- Housing with a family in Valladolid, Spain
- Three Meals per day
- Once a week Laundry
- Host Institution Cultural Events and Activities
- Classroom materials
- 6 credit hours towards language, minor, major, or elective credits.
- Exclusive instruction by Universitas Castellae professors.
- Transportation to two excursions
- Program led by member of Texas State U.
- Health Insurance and Emergency Assistance
For more information: Study Abroad Website